Photo by Charalambos Kountouris

Photo by Charalambos Kountouris

Construction started in 1747 and was completed 3 years later. Consists of a total of 75 arches (“kamares” in Greek, hence its name) and has been in operation until 1939 when it was replaced by modern water supply methods. It is considered as the most important monument constructed during the Ottoman period in Cyprus. Currently part of it is illuminated at night and a municipal nature path is passing right under it.